BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower Review
Weather can be unpredictable and make it harder for you to stay on top of your lawn. In dry weather, you may need to slightly shade your lawn but in times of vigorous growth you may need your mower to do some serious trimming.
So it helps to have a versatile mower that can do it all. Today we are going to be taking a look at the a gas-powered mower from Black + Decker that promises to be useful for many applications. Let’s see if it lives up to the hype…
BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower Overview
One of the coolest things about this mower is that it is self-propelled with a front-wheel drive.
This makes it excellent for anyone that has generally flat turf and doesn’t want to struggle against a heavy, cumbersome lawn mower. Just keep in mind that as a gas-powered mower, the BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower needs seasonal oil changes.
The BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower features a recoil start system that is very responsive right out of the box. However, you will need to maintain it properly if you want it to start up easily throughout the seasons.
When we first unboxed the BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower and started pushing it around, we were convinced that it was well-made.
It feels solid and you just get the sense that quality parts were used to make this mower. Of course, only time will tell how reliable it is but we definitely got the sense that with some minimal maintenance, this mower will last a long time.
We were a bit worried about the weight and how well it would work with the self-propulsion system but it performed admirably. It glides along turf very smoothly and makes it very easy to follow behind. It’s actually pretty quick which we liked because it cuts down on actual mowing time.
Overall we liked how substantial it felt to push and the self-propulsion can pretty much do all the work if you feel like taking it easy.
The BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower is loaded with practical and handy features and is bereft if anything we would call superfluous. Check out the main features:
- 3 Cutting Functions – The rear-mounted bag will catch your clippings or you can set it to discharge clippings from the side. There is also a mulching function if you want to automatically turn your clippings into mulch for your lawn. Our only gripe with the bag is that there is no fill indicator so you need to check it frequently to make sure the rear discharge port isn’t getting clogged. But you can tell when the bag needs to be emptied fairly easily just by feeling how heavy it is.
- 21” Cutting Deck – We really like that the BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower has a large 21” cutting deck. It creates beautifully wide stripes. The width is another feature that actually saves you time.
- 6 Height Settings – This lawn mower features a dual lever system that allows you to set he cutting deck at 6 different heights. This makes the BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower very versatile and usable when the weather is wet or dry.
- 140CC Engine – The gas-powered 140CC engine is powerful enough for any kind of grass. It is outfitted with a recoil start that is very easy to manage right out of the box. One thing you must know about this mower though is that it should never be tilted more than 15 degrees. The oil will start to burn if it is used on inclines of more than 15 degrees.
- 8 Inch Tires – The tires are sturdy but we wish there was more offset so that the mower would be easier to pivot.
How Does it Perform?
The BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower performs well from an ease of use standpoint. It starts up quickly and easily and the front-wheel drive makes it so you don’t have to exert yourself when mowing your lawn.
However, it is a bit difficult to turn because of the lack of offset in the wheels. Also the front wheel drive mechanism takes up a decent amount of space near the front wheels. This makes mowing in tight areas a bit difficult.
- Seems very well-made
- Easy self-propulsion
- Mows quickly
- Starts up quickly
- More than enough power
- Very versatile
- Not great in tight mowing situations
- Can’t be inclined more than 15 degrees
- Turning is a bit difficult
- Sometimes doesn’t make straight lines
Overall Score: 95/100
Check Out More Reviews Here:
Who Should Buy it?
The BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower would definitely be best for anyone who doesn’t want to break their backs when mowing. As a front-wheel drive mower, it would be best for flat lawns as well.
Other Mowers to Consider
- Sun Joe 24v-x2-17lm Lawn Mower – This is a battery-operated 4-wheel mower that can be adjusted to 6 different heights. It runs on a brushless 670 watt motor and has a 17 inch wide mowing deck.
- PowerSmart Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower – If you’re looking for more power this lawnmower is for you. It has a 200CC 4-stroke engine and a wide 22” cutting deck. It can also mulch, side discharge and catch clippings in the bag.
- CRAFTSMAN 149cc 21-Inch 3-in-1 Vertical Storage Front Wheel Drive Self Propelled Lawn Mower – This mower is surprisingly compact and would be good for anyone short on storage space.
Aside from some minor mobility issues, we really liked the BLACK+DECKER 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower.
It’s great for areas that get a wide variety of weather conditions and for anyone who wants an easier and quicker time mowing their lawn.